Saturday, May 25, 2013

While the Blogging may have stopped, I didn't...

What happened, you may ask?

The long and short of it, life.

Illness and schedules that made spare moments few and far between.

And then I got frozen out of this account after acquiring a new computer.

Tonight, I got back in.

But what didn't stop?  In the craziness and mundane time-sucking moments that can complicate life?  My workouts.

While I would still consider myself a "Fat Chick", I am also a much "Fitter Chick", and have had many words of praise for my efforts and altering form.

I have been working out between 3 and 6 days a week, both strength and cardio.  I have begun jogging and biking.  I have muscle definition, and pretty much swim in my old clothes (though I am now holding out for the fall before going on a shopping spree).

Again, I am not yet where I want to be, but I have set new goals that put fitness in the center of my life. In fact, I have stopped figuring out how to fit a workout into my day, and instead, make my day fit around a workout (even it if means I am up before 5 am some mornings).

Life gets tough.  I have faced many questions of life and death in the past 12 months, and the rest of this year promises no reprieve from that reality.

But I just wanted to stop by, for anyone that may have wondered if the Future Former Fat Chick had become another casualty of dreams buried under gallons of ice cream, the answer is No.  I plan to close out this year by being able to drop the "Future" from this Blog's title.

I will come back and post more details.

But if anyone has happened past this, and thinks it's impossible.  If you look at the Couch to 5k and think it's too much.  If you drive past the gym, too afraid to go in, thinking they will laugh at you if you try.

Do it.

Take the first step, and then take another.  Yes, some may judge, and some may laugh.  Some always do.  They do not get to decide your self worth.  They do not get to decide whether you succeed or fail.

Last summer, I walked into a lifting class.  I was petrified, but I made up my mind to do it.  I looked for someone who seemed like they were comfortable.  I told them I had never done the class before, and would they mind helping me set up?  They were kind, and they helped me.  Could they have walked away thinking I was in over my head?  Sure.  Did it matter?  No.  I had taken the first step.

I struggled through the class.  I thought I would die.  My legs were complete jelly after the hour.  I hardly did any weights.  My arms wanted to fall off.  I was drenched in sweat.  I was gasping for air.

I went back.  I did it again.  I thought I would die.  My legs were complete jelly after the hour.  I hardly did any weights.  My arms wanted to fall off.  I was drenched in sweat.  I was gasping for air.

I went back again.  And again.  And again.  I still think my legs will fall off.  I still sweat.  I still gasp for air.  But, the difference is that it is now because I push myself to that brink and that fatigue.  I am in control of my fitness.

And I've added other classes.  Those classes are the reason I recently logged seven miles of walking and jogging, and I hadn't jogged in years.

So, take that step.  The only opinion in all of this that matters is yours.  And life will never slow down to give you the perfect time to take control.  So just do it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment